I’m an avid collector of wedding programs. And I’m anal about them. So many couples just do a folded sheet of 8 1/2 x 11 paper (A4), but I’m a unique sort of person and love programs that think outside the square.
The problem with programs is that often the program isn’t completely finalized until a week before the wedding. If you want to DIY your programs, try and do as much as you can before the ceremony is finalized (e.g., cover page), or you know, be organized and have your ceremony set in stone three weeks before your big day!
When creating programs, I aim to make them as easy to assemble as possible. Easy, for me, means no ribbon, embossing, or fiddly cutting. Sometimes though, it’s inevitable. Here’s some examples of programs I’ve DIY’d over the last few years:
Of these, the simplest to put together was #1. I printed directly onto off-white cardstock for the cover (2 on each 8 1/2 x 11 page), and white cardstock for the inside page. The pages were cut to size with a paper trimmer, folded, and stapled once with a booklet stapler. The finished size is 4 1/4 x 4 1/4.
#2 replicated the style of Steph’s wedding invitation. In this one, I used blue carstock for the cover, attached the ribbon with tape, and covered it with a square of printed linen paper. To save money, the inside was printed in black and white on linen paper. The finished size is 4 x 4.
My programs (#3) were fairly simple to put together. I cut the brown paper a few weeks before the wedding, attaching the photo and band in the same way as my invitations. I used chunky Fastenater staples in lime green (almost impossible to find!), but then found that they wouldn’t go through all the sheets of paper. In the end, I faked it. I stapled the front cover only, then used regular staples to staple the back section, then taped the two sections together with double sided tape. No one noticed :-). I didn’t want to use regular wedding terms, so wrote “who’s who” (instead of participants/bridal party/helpers) and “amazing friends” (instead of “thank you”). I printed the pages on 11 x 17 sheets of metallic champaign colored paper (I think I got 3 to a page). We included engagement pictures of us on some of the pages, and the metallic paper made the images really pop! We had 100 guests, so I made about 75 programs.
Jen’s programs (#4) were a little last minute. She already had some marquee cut cardstock (white) that she wanted me to use for them. I used the cardstock for the back cover and printed the program onto leftover linen paper from Steph’s programs! I used a small hole punch to make the holes for the ribbon, which I tied into a knot.
Later this week, I’ll share with you some programs that I’ve receieved (and love!). I’d love to see some of your favorites!