Male Banding

This topic has been covered somewhat before in Mel’s post about wedding rings, but I’m here to give you the guy’s perspective, and my own experience.

The missus-to-be is in Taiwan for vacation, and part of her trip includes shopping for our wedding bands.  The characteristics of the ring I want for myself include: not overly designed, not too fancy looking/shiny, not too bulky or heavy, and not too expensive (I’m cheap).

Here are the options I’m considering now. Which one would you get for your guy, if any?

Platinum

Platinum

Platinum also

Platinum also

Titanium

Titanium

This entry was posted in Accessories. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Male Banding

1. Alana says:

What about diamonds for guys? Tasteful done, and it looks great, and sets you apart from the plain band dudes. Also, guys need two bands, a fancy one (diamond and platinum), and a cheap one ($100 max) for placing like the gym.

2. Scott says:

I have a ring similar to the 3rd titanium ring in design, except mine is platinum. Depending on how active you are, I kind of agree with Alana, that having two rings might be a good idea. I’m fairly active, play sports and lift weights, and my ring is all scratched up. Platinum is a softer metal, so, the scratches will show up more easily. The Titanium is lightweight and durable, and is good to wear when at the gym or when doing active things.

3. Emily says:

My husband bought a tungsten ring online for $50. It’s a little darker in color than titanium or platinum, but it doesn’t scratch.

4. Joleen says:

We got a tungsten with a platinum inlay… i really like it and like the slight differennce in the two tone. But out of those three I really like the middle picture=)

Although I’m a little adverse to too much bling in a guy’s ring. I really like a classic simple style ring on a man. Although a small diamond here or there can look nice.

5. David says:

I’ve thought about tungsten too, because of the scratch factor. It’s also supposed to be a lot less expensive than other materials.

6. Scott says:

David, what can someone expect to pay for a platinum versus a titanium versus a tungsten band?

7. Scott says:

@Emily – $50, wow! Platinum is considerably more expensive. I saw bands up to $1000 for men’s rings without a diamond.

8. Tara says:

My soon-to-be-husband bought a tungsten band with a very thin line of 18k gold inlay. It will not scratch or wear, and it was $350CDN, which we found to be very reasonable.

9. Sarah says:

My brother-in-law has a titanium one – platinum caused an irritation on his skin (i’ve heard this with other people too). I’d go with the titanium – just to be safe.

10. David says:

Tungsten would be the Goldilocks of rings for me (scratch and cost factors considered), but they do seem heavy. I can’t even stand to wear a titanium watch, and I wear no jewelry whatsoever. Oh well, let’s hope that whatever I choose doesn’t burn. ;)

11. Tim says:

I went with tungsten, very happy with it! It’s hefty but in a good way, plus you will probably get used to it much faster than a watch.