Men Spending Less on Engagement Rings

Breaking news! Men are spending less on engagement rings according to dailymail.co.uk. The economy is taking its toll not only on weddings, but now on the universal symbol of love and commitment, the engagement ring. The topic of how much an engagement ring should cost has always been hotly debated, but I think most people would agree that the cost of an engagement ring should fall somewhere between 2 to 3 months salary. According to dailymail, men are now spending 3 weeks salary on engagement rings. To give you an idea of what that is in dollars – men who may have spent $8,000 are now spending on average $2,000 for an engagement ring. Read the article for additional stats.

What about me, you ask? Well, I didn’t have great resources like Big Fat Cake to help me answer my questions about how much I should spend on an engagement ring, not to mention I was a year out of college when I asked Christine’s hand in marriage. All that said, I spent about 1 to 2 months salary, less than the “recommended” amount. Did spending less on an engagement ring bother Christine? I don’t think so, but I’ll let her respond to that. In the end, I think it’s more the man’s love and intention to get married, and less the the cost of the ring.

I want to hear from the men and women out there. Men, did you spend 1, 2, or 3 months salary on the engagement ring? Women, how do you feel about the cost of the engagement ring?

This entry was posted in Accessories, Engagement and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Men Spending Less on Engagement Rings

1. Christine says:

What? You spent 1 to 2 months on my ring? Can I get a redo? Ahahaha. No, I really don’t care at all. I know that you spent time and care into picking the ring and that’s what mattered to me the most.

Also, people argue whether or not the guideline of 2-3 months salary is before taxes, verse after taxes. If I were a guy, I would say after taxes. If I were a girl, wait…..since I am a girl, I’ll push for 3 months salary before taxes. :)

2. Suzanne says:

My husband spent about $2K on my ring and I love it. I think its so unnecessary to spend much more than that on a ring.

3. Lisa says:

I think that so long as a guy gets the best that he can afford, does it with love and keeps the girl’s taste on bling in mind, he’ll be alright, after-all, it’s the feelings of true love from one person to another that makes it special and meaningful.

Beautiful Wedding Ideas

4. Funkyjoy77 says:

I really like your post. Its all about the love!!! As they say “It’s not the size of the boat that floats, its the motion in the ocean” !!!

5. Funkyjoy77 says:

Sorry, meaning you can buy a big diamond with crappy clarity or a small one with excellent clarity…

6. erin says:

This is an excellent post!

There are great ways to save when it comes to getting married!

A great way to save on your nuptials is to enter into the Eden 2012 Destination Giveaway!

Eden Condominiums resort, on the white sandy beaches and blue-green waters of Florida’s Gulf Coast, is site of 2012 wedding package that includes designer wedding gown, tuxedo, catering, photographer, flowers, personal wedding planner and more!

Couples can register on Facebook (www.facebook.com/edencondos) or on Eden’s website (www.edencondominiums.com). Registration is open now until September 30, 2011.

7. We’re always excited to hear when couples save money during the wedding planning process – this includes engagement rings! The symbolism of the ring means far more than the cost. . . and there are others ways to save, too. Brides on a budget can throw the wedding of their dreams for a lot less. Examples: DIY wedding invitations, favors, centerpieces, desserts, etc.

8. Pingback: Men Spending Less on Engagement Rings | Prep4Wedding

9. Chantal says:

The engagement ring is all about a promise and commitment to each other. As far as the size, it certainly does not matter…but it is important for engaged women to always have their nails looking pretty because they will be showing that bling off for ever:)

10. JLa says:

I’ve been doing some research on wedding bands/rings on http://www.etsy.com and realizing how many beautiful rings there are out there that do not break the bank! Some of them are so unique or vintage or just down right lovely!

I’ve also been seeing a trend in matching wedding bands. The husband and wife have similar bands but of differing widths. Do a search on Etsy and you’ll be rewarded!

11. My wife and I were broke when we got married. I remember spending probably $500 on her ring (and $25 on mine), and I let her pick out whatever she wanted. She was just being realistic about what we could afford. Granted, after we were married a few years and could afford it, I got her a much nicer one.

Great info!

12. “In the end, I think it’s more the man’s love and intention to get married, and less the the cost of the ring.” I am a girl and I totally agree with this.

Even with a small budget, you can always get a ring that she will appreciate. Get to know what style she prefers, like looking at her jewelries or accessories so that you’ll be able to choose a ring that she will fall in love with regardless of the price. She’ll appreciate your effort.