Shonna’s Rustic Farm Wedding

Growing up on a farm in the mountains of North Carolina, I wanted a rustic themed wedding with the reception in a barn.  We wanted our friends and family surrounding us, good food, good music, and a beautiful setting.  We knew when we found Khimaira Farm that we had found the perfect place.  Khimaira was the perfect outdoor setting – with the Shenandoah Mountains as a breathtaking backdrop for the ceremony and a converted goat barn for the reception.

Another important aspect of our wedding was involvement of our friends.  We have a very talented group of friends and wanted to include them as much as possible.  The musicians for the ceremony, caterer, floral design, photography, and wedding planning/caligraphy were all done by close friends.  It made the day even more special because we felt so much love from everyone involved.

Nick wanted to wear Converse shoes with his outfit.  I decided if he got to have comfy shoes, it is only fair that the girls get comfy shoes as well.  We wore our “fancy” shoes for the ceremony, but as soon as it was over, we switched into these customized shoes.  Everyone had their names on the back with the exception of the “bride” and “groom”.

We had a really hard time choosing colors for the wedding.  I wanted blush and neutrals and Nick wanted bright, vibrant colors.  We both compromised and settled on yellow and grey.  They grey is neutral and the yellow is bright and vibrant.
Yes, that is a dinosaur in the background….
Nick and I designed all of the paper goods ourselves and printed everything at home.  We especially loved our programs that we made into fans with a crossword puzzle on the back and a secret message on the front!

Nick’s Dad made custom cornhole boards with our new last name.  We also had custom cornhole bags made using our wedding colors with our names and wedding date embroidered on them.
As favors, my parents made homemade jelly using raspberries from their garden.  We also had homemade goat milk soap as a nod to having our wedding on a goat farm.  Our sign in book was quilt squares that my Mom will make into a quilt so we will always have everyone’s good wishes with us as a memorable keepsake.
One of the great things about Khimaira Farm is that the price includes use of a wide variety of decorations.  We chose to use etched glasses in wire containers and twine wrapped mason jars on wood slices with burlap table runners to keep it very simple  and to show off the beauty of the wooden tables.

For our music, we were so happy to have dear friends play the violin for our ceremony.  Our first dance was from my favorite group which is local to where I grew up.
OUR MUSICAL CHOICES
Processional:  Canon in D
Recessional:  Marry You – Bruno Mars
First Dance:  Swept Away (Sentimental Version) – Avett Brothers
Our dinner was served buffet style.  As each table was called up to the buffet, we asked that they stop with us and pose for a picture.  This ensured we have pictures of all of our guests and as you can see by the picture of Nick in his big brother’s lap, it was quite entertaining!
We, along with our guests, LOVED our photo booth.  It was so much fun and we loved that the guests got a strip for themselves and one to put in a keepsake book with a note to us.  Looking back through all of the pictures makes us laugh every time!
Dessert was homemade pies from family and the bridesmaids, as well as our wedding cake.
.We decided we wanted to incorporate rock climbing into our wedding since that is how we met and something we still enjoy doing on a regular basis.  We found these awesome wire rock climbing cake toppers and knew that this would be the perfect way to incorporate our favorite activity.  We thought it looked great!

Venue:  Khimaira Farm in Luray, VA

Photography:  Acuna Studios

Caterer:  Maple Ave Restaurant

Cake:  Main Street Bakery

DJ:  Josh Nicol

Floral Design:  Friend of the Bride and Groom, Lisa Gilchrist

Calligraphy and Day of Coordinator:  Tammy Caudle from Caudle Creations

Dress:  Rivini Dari from Hannelore’s of Old Town Alexandria

Hair and Makeup:  The Looking Glass Salon

This entry was posted in Cake, Ceremony, Design Ideas, Events, Reception, Vendors, Wedding Themes and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Shonna’s Rustic Farm Wedding

1. Rhiannon says:

Shonna!!

I love your wedding, all the details, ideas, the pics, the farm..it is beautiful! Congrats!!

p.s. what site did you order the climbing topper, I often have clients that request those, or hikers, etc.

LOVE IT!

Rhiannon

2. Shonna says:

Hi Rhiannon!

Thank you so much! We got the cake topper from Daryl’s Rock and Wire Works. They have a very interesting mix of sports from hikers, to skiers and snowboarders, water rafters, etc. I ordered the topper and it arrived at my house less than a week later.

Thanks again!
    Shonna

3. shelly says:

I just want to say how happy i am for you that you got your dream wedding:) It looks beautiful!!

4. Shonna says:

Thank you, Shelly!

5. Alba Funes says:

Hi Shonna, Very nice wedding,I like the colors .Congratulations!!!

6. Shonna says:

Thank you, Alba!

7. Shonna,

Going threw the pictures of your wedding made me truly feel like I was there and have known you guys forever. I found you online doing a search for wedding cornhole. I am working with a company called Victory Tailgate. We make cornhole boards. We are branching out and trying to focus on wedding cornhole, thus my search began, and I found you. I am looking for pictures to help us with our marketing and you guys are such a lovely couple I am wondering if this something you perhaps would consider? If you get a moment could you please email me…sewing@victorytailgate.com.

Thank you for sharing the story of your wedding. It is a true inspiration.

Sheila

8. Toni McIntyre says:

WOW!!!!! So beautiful and looks like the best time ever. I am so happy for you Shonna and can’t wait to meet Nick!
    Lots of love to a great couple!
    Toni

9. LOve the cake,it’s very unique!!The photos are great and i like that they had a lot of funn!Great work

10. Emma says:

Everyone is looking so energetic in this wedding.Great pictures.I loved that creative cake.

11. That design with the flowers running down the aisle looks amazing! Whoever you had put the at together did a really great job.

12. Wow. Beautiful Wedding. Both are Looking Good..

13. cubic zirconia india says:

I like your post very much…

Thanks for sharing this wonderful post, It is awesome.

14. Lindsay says:

What a fun wedding! I wish I was there!

15. A great wedding, it looks like a great deal of fun was had by all – just as a wedding should be!

16. Sure such as good articles post in this glod and fabulous i am very good site post Thanks for this nice article,

17. Congratulations on a great wedding and a great photo set. The use of yellow is awesome and I particularly loved the floral detail in the aisle.

Kudos to all involved in these great photos,
    George.

18. Nadar Girls says:

Wish a romantic and beautiful married life.

19. Elizabeth says:

Loving the florals in the aisle and the burlap with the cake! So pretty!

20. Zookbinders says:

Love the personalized Converse shoes! Really a beautiful and fun wedding!

21. Love all the details of this wedding especially the shoes! A beautiful wedding!